Explore

China’s ‘Human Zoo’ Resort Will Cage The Humans & Let The Animals Roam Free

By Leah Freeman-Haskin

Share

Meet Bangkok-based hotel architect Bill Bensley, the man who is famously known as the “Willy Wonka of hotel design.” His latest creation only further proves his out-of-the-box thinking: a resort that cages the humans and lets the exotic and endangered animals roam free.

RELATED: Curious Stares And Culture Shock: What It’s Like To Be A Black Traveler In China

The cages for humans will actually be 2,400 hotel rooms and he has tacit approval on the idea of relocating abused animals from zoos all over China, to be released onto the roughly 2,000-hectare piece of land where the human zoo will be located. According to CNN, “a glimpse of his gloriously illustrated ‘overall masterplan’ shows how the reserve will feature individual Asia, Africa, and Australia savannahs for animals to live in their ‘natural habitats.’” The resort, named WorldWild, will give animals access to 95% of the land, and humans the remaining 5%.

WorldWild will also offer exhibitions on the illegal wildlife trade and experiences such as treetop walks through a dense monkey forest and an Indigenous Australian rock painting.

According to CNN, Bensley is a lifelong conservationist who deeply cares about what humans are doing to the planet. Bensley says he believes “everyone has a part to play” in climate change, with young people and their social media accounts holding huge power when it comes to shaping the future of sustainable travel.

RELATED: Best Things to Do In Shanghai, China

“If I’m given a piece of land that is virgin, I look at it as though no matter what we do with it — and I’m a pretty good architect — we are going to make it worse,” says Bensley. “So it’s all about mitigating damage… How do we build with minimal intervention on the land? Our land is a precious resource, we can’t just rip it up.”

WorldWild is expected to open in Wuchuan, located in southern China’s Guangdong province, in 2023.

Share
Travel Noire

Leah Freeman-Haskin

Want more?

Get exclusive, unpublished tips from Travel Noire's CEO to help you get off the beaten path, into the hearts of locals and onto a better, more cultured life.

Black Expats Open Up About Living In Asia During The Coronavirus Outbreak

Black Expats Open Up About Living In Asia During The Coronavirus Outbreak

Right now we are in the middle of a global pandemic. It is said that COVID-19 began in China and has slowly made its way around the world, most recently to the United States. It’s all we see and hear about on the news and on social media. Travel Noire had the chance to speak […]

DeAnna Taylor

Woman Restrained After Intentionally Coughing on Thai Airways Flight Attendant

Woman Restrained After Intentionally Coughing on Thai Airways Flight Attendant

Thai Airways staff came to a colleague’s rescue to restrain a woman after she coughed at a flight attendant while passengers waited hours to get a coronavirus check. The Chinese passenger allegedly coughed deliberately at the flight attendant because she was angry about a seven-hour wait at Shanghai Pudong International Airport from Bangkok where passengers […]

Parker Diakite

Bag Of Dead Birds Seized  From Passenger Arriving In The US From China

Bag Of Dead Birds Seized From Passenger Arriving In The US From China

The U.S. Customs and Border Protection seized a bag of dead birds from a passenger’s luggage traveling from China to the Washington, D.C. area.  The traveler, who arrived on a flight from Beijing on January 27, told CBP agriculture specialists that the birds were for cat food that he was planning to take to Prince […]

Parker Diakite