Find Out If There’s A Travel Advisory On Your Favorite Caribbean Destination
By Parker Diakite
If you are planning a trip to the Caribbean, the latest incidents in the Dominican Republic and Costa Rica may have you wondering what countries are considered safe and what destinations tourists should be wary of.
The U.S. Department of State has published a list of travel advisories for Caribbean countries based on four levels: “Level 1: Exercise Normal Precautions”; “Level Two: Exercise Increased Caution”; “Level 3: Reconsider Travel” and “Level 4: Do Not Travel.”
Here’s the latest information reported by the State Department on July 22:
Level 1: No travel Advisories
- Antigua and Barbuda
- British Virgin Islands
- Cayman Islands
- Costa Rica
- French West Indies, which includes islands Guadeloupe, Martinique, French Saint Martin, and Saint Barthélemy.
- Saint Kitts and Nevis
- Saint Lucia
- Saint Vincent
Level 2: Exercise increased caution
- The Bahamas: cited for jet-ski operators sexually assaulting tourists
- Belize: cited for violent crime, including sexual assaults
- Colombia: cited for crime, terrorism, and kidnapping
- Cuba: cited for “several reports per month of crimes against U.S. tourists and other foreign nationals,” and a small number of violent crimes involving U.S. citizens outside of tourist areas.
- Dominican Republic: cited for armed robbery, homicide, and sexual assault.
- Guatemala: cited for crime throughout the country, including robbery and murder
- Jamaica: cited for armed robberies, homicides and sexual assaults
- Mexico: cited for crime throughout the country
- Trinidad and Tobago: cited for crime, terrorism, and kidnapping
- Turks and Caicos islands: cited for crime, primarily in Providenciales; local medical care and criminal investigative capabilities are limited.
Level 3: Reconsider travel
- El Salvador
Level 4: Do not travel
To receive updated Travel Advisories and Alerts, the State Department recommends creating an account at STEP.state.gov and providing the details of your specific trip, including dates of arrival and departure for the countries you choose.