10 Reasons Why Morocco Should Be On Your Travel Bucket List
By Leah Freeman-Haskin
Morocco is a country of great diversity and rich history. You may not need more reasons to visit this remarkable North African country, but just in case you are on the fence, here are 10 fascinating facts to help sway your decision.
1. Morocco is one of the oldest recognized countries in Africa, with its first declaration of sovereignty dating back to the year 788.
2. For the adventurous traveler, Morocco encompasses desert (Sahara), mountainous (Atlas, Rif) and coastal (Atlantic, Mediterranean) regions.
3. The climate in Morocco is extremely varied with extremes in the summer and winter.
4. Tea is Morocco’s national drink. This dates back to the 19th century when British merchants became stranded off the coast and had to offload their cargos.
5. The city of Fez is a UNESCO world heritage site.
6. The most popular type of music at Moroccan family gatherings is called Chaabi. It is a mixture of folk music from various origins which originated in markets.
7. Many people don’t know this, but Morocco hosts Africa’s highest ski resort at 10,500 feet above sea level.
8. Foodies will love the diversity of cuisine. Due to the country’s geography and history, Moroccan food has elements of Arab, Mediterranean, and Berber traditional ingredients and cooking techniques.
9. Morocco has a vibrant art scene, sparked by l’Uzine in Casablanca, an artistic enclave in an old industrial area in the city.
10. One of Morocco’s major exports is tangerines. Tangerines are named after the coastal city of Tangier.